Tuesday, April 19, 2011

No Handle on My Bars

This is how I found my bike last Friday
There are only a few things in life that are worse than having to go to work Monday to Friday, only to repeat the process after two short days of relaxation. This past Friday what I thought was the start of a fine weekend turned to sadness as I exited the revolving doors that is the entrance and exit to my servitude and freedom. Low and behold what did I find waiting for me as my smile turned upside down, my bicycle. Normally I love seeing my bicycle after a long day of being tethered to my desk, but today when I gazed out like I normally do to my bike locked up on the rack I realized something was amiss. Turns out some asshole stole my handle bars and stem off of my ride.

As the two of you along with @thepipebit who read my blahg, I commute to work by bicycle. I have been commuting for at least two years since the MTA along with our Rat overlords decided that they would raise the fair to the point where a guy living alone making an honest earning can't afford to ride the train every single day of the year. When I moved to NYC in 1999 the fair was less than two dollars, now it is two fifty with talks of raising the fair again perhaps earliest as next year. Once you do the math, you'd see for a year that it's a ridiculous amount of money to throw at our public's failing mass transportation system, hence commuting by bicycle. Either way I love riding my bicycle, so it's a win for me.

This has nothing to do with this post,
 it was dinner the other night
I work at one of the busiest intersections that I am currently aware of in the city (I could be wrong on that assumption) which normally has a police presence all day either directing traffic or watching the hooligans leaving school after a hard day of preparing for summer school by failing while their pants sag (kind of like their future). So in broad daylight a thief rolled up on my bike and ripped me off in the same spot I've been locking my bike for what ever amount of time I said in the previous paragraph. So walking out of work and seeing the situation laid out before my eyes, I was angered to say the least especially with such a heavy police presence.

with new handlebars
Basically having no choice in the situation, I strolled down Park Ave. with what was left of my bike minus handle bars. I did receive some odd glances from people looking at me and my violated bicycle as they passed me, and I wondered to myself if they felt sad for me or they thought I was stealing my own bike (which of course they didn't know was mine). Either way I was determined to make it to the Bike shop before it closed at 7, and so with bike in tow I scurried along (not unlike our rat overlords).

In the end, I made it to the bike shop and dropped more money than I wanted to spend to get my bike back on the road. I was able to ride back to Brooklyn, but not without catching a flat tire (the 2nd one in two days). I have to admit I am currently nervous about locking my bike in front of where I work, and so I am looking into securing my handlebars and stem before I resume riding to work. I just want to say thanks to that asshole who stole my cockpit, I really hope you get doored and then immediately have taxi run over your shitty ass, you ass.

1 comment:

  1. It's a terrible violation of property and even personal space. 100 years ago my Mongoose Moosegoose was stolen and it still makes me mad...hope they get this shithead and you get justice. Or at least repaid.

    ReplyDelete