Friday, February 18, 2011

Winter's hidden gems

Picture via http://www.mommygoggles.com
I am a dog walker, in as much that when I am at my girlfriend's house I walk her dog. As I walk the love my girlfriend's life (which isn't me by the way), I tend to look at the ground a lot since my girlfriends dog is small. I would say she is small as in the size of a chihuahua is small. I have noticed, along with the Gothamist, that as the snow melts away from December's post Christmas snow dusting, many a things are being uncovered.

As Zeus released the Krakken, so too as the snow has melted, released hidden gems buried beneath it's white fluffiness that's now covered in filth and grim. It reveals that people are more dirtier than a sow rolling around in it's own feces. Garbage, a glove now missing it's significant other, and used heroin needles are just a few of things that you will find under the melting snow.

What gets to me most about whats being discovered under the snow, is that when it snows, people forego picking up after their pets. As embarrassing as it can be, I will pick up after my girlfriends dog after she does her business. Not only do I want people not to step in it, but it's the law to pick up after your dog. No one wants to step in doggy deposits, and I'm sure this includes those who don't remove their own dog's deposits from the streets. Don't the soles of peoples shoes suffer enough?

It's almost as if people will let their dogs do their business and then simply brush their pets deposit under nature's winter carpet of snow. This is just disrespectful to the people around you, like when Urban Athelete's go to the Turkey's Nest, then leave their styrofoam cups littered about McCarren park after an adult game of kickball. Better yet, like when someone is eating Mc Donald's on the subway and then simply tosses their garbage under the seat. I'm sure they frown at people doing these things, so why do it themselves?

I would love to ask everyone, if you are going to own a pet, take responsibility and clean up after your pet. Karma is like a woman, in that she will take something that you did, store it away in her mind for months, maybe even years, and then when you least expect it, she will pull it out of the blue and make you suffer for it. So, to the people who think the sidewalk is their trash can, when you aren't looking, Karma will be paying you a visit.

1 comment: