Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday thoughts about Japan

photo via: http://images.mirror.co.uk/
I have to admit, the only catastrophe I ever witnessed and lived through was 9-11 (Yes, I realize that I can not compare the two and I'm not), I have never felt the tremors of a jishin (earthquake), never have I experienced a tsunami, so what I see on television seems very surreal to me. I'm just now beginning the grasp the reality of what is going on in Japan. That being said, I realize my life is quite insignificant when compared to the scope of the events transpiring in Japan and what mother nature can do at any given moment with no warning what so ever.

Since the initial quake, each new day unfurls a newer event that has occurred during our American evening, compounding to the already dire situation. Matters will more than likely worsen before anything begins to improve for our Pacific neighbors. Outside of donating to various charities, there are few things I can do except sitting here idly following the news, along with being here to talk to my girlfriend and numerous Japanese friends. I can not fathom how tough it must be for them being here in America, knowing what is taking place on their native soil, not being able to be there to help search for loved ones or friends that may have been lost or perished in this disaster.

The imagery coming in from Japan, whether on television or the internet is very heart wrenching. The magnitude of the devastation almost makes every image seem unreal and cinema like until you watch the videos taken by those living it. You will see the true the horror and sadness they just lived through. They will carry this with them the rest of their lives. When I see the pain and sadness in their eyes, it really takes any problem I have makes me realize it's nothing, and I'm right.

It's pretty easy to dismiss Japans situation when you have no emotional attachment like I've been witnessing with some of the Twitter trends over the weekend. Thousands of people are lost, missing, or simply have nothing now in their lives because of these events. Are people really that insensitive to someones misfortune that they can make light about what is going on in Japan? As people go about their daily lives, I hope they take a brief moment and think about if this had happened to them and their country, would they want people acting insensitive to their plight?

The events will not only affect Japan, but America and the rest of the world for many years to come. Economically and environmentally what is going to happen? Japan has third largest economy after America and China. Not only is Japan a large importer, but a large exporter as well, so what affects them will economically have an affect us in one way or another. And after the events of Chernobyl, the world knows of the environmental impact a nuclear fallout can do if any of Japan's nuclear reactors meltdown.

People in Japan need help whether they ask for it our not, as a human being why not help your fellow man.  The catastrophe in Japan is not going to simply disappear over night. You can help in relief efforts by going to the Redcross or text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 from your phone. You can also go to Global living which has set up a relief fund that you can donate to towards helping the people in need there. For other options you can go to Huffpost, where they have a page with various organizations you can donate to. Yahoo also has a page here that may have a few more places you can donate and help. Let's all hope Japan a speedy recover from this devastating disaster.

1 comment: