Friday, March 11, 2011

Today's Event in Japan

Picture from: http://framework.latimes.com/
I am putting my normal ranting aside today, I will continue as usual come Monday.
I honestly feel my complaining about how terrible the MTA subway is, or how single
people will soon not have to worry about sleeping alone due to the upcoming bed bug infestation, appears absolutely meaningless when compared to what is taking place in
Japan this very moment.

Like myself, most people woke up this morning learning about the devastation that rocked Japan while America slept for the evening. The rest of our world, at some point or another today, will also learn the magnitude of what has transpired in Japan. As up to date status' unravel before our eyes whether through television, radio, print as well as internet, please take a moment and reflect on life and how fragile it can be, many people have lost their homes and lives today.

picture from http://www.bbc.co.uk/
I'm in absolute shock watching video of the tsunami laying waste over the northern coast of Honshu (For those unaware, Honshu is the main Island in the Japanese archipelago). The tsunami, as you know (if you are intelligent enough to comprehend the news), was triggered by a massive earthquake around 80 miles off the northern coast in the Pacific Ocean. This earthquake also happens to have been Japan's largest earthquake ever recorded and 5th largest in the world since 1900. As updates trickle in, I'm sure It will be weeks perhaps even months before we understand and grasp the total destruction that has taken place.

I have been to Japan a couple times so far in my short lifespan, and rest assured I can vouch for Japan and say what an amazing country as well as the people of that nation are. I have many friends including my better, more beautiful other half, who are from Japan and I think this is part of the reason I am very shocked and taken back by everything that has gone on down there. Just writing about this is very tough for me and I won't even be able to formulate half of what I'm thinking into this blog to make this post respectable.

Ok so I wasn't planning to rant, but the Asshole brigade has already stormed out the gate douching about on the internet, especially on Twitter. As of this moment as I am writing this Godzilla is trending, seriously? I can only assume that it's mostly insensitive people sitting behind a computer making light of something as real and serious as what is happening in Japan. I am very curious to know how these dick holes would feel if their families were swallowed up by an earthquake or drowned by a tsunami. It's one thing to rant about our subway system, but about peoples real pain and suffering, come on.

I will have to admit, Fox News was on top of things this morning (did I really just write that?). As much as I loathe the right leaning blabber machine, Fox were basically the only news outlet besides CNN to have any coverage of the events unfolding in Japan. You would have to think that something of this nature which will be in time affecting the world would be worth more covering than Lohan's day in court. This is what's wrong with America sometimes, there is a country reeling from the after affects of a devastating natural event, and news channels HLN are more concerned with covering some dime store celebrity's day in court, or Sheen.

Anyway back to the reality of what has occurred. The catastrophe in Japan is not going to simply disappear over night. You can help in relief efforts by going to the Redcross or text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 from your phone. You can also go to Global living which has set up a relief fund that you can donate to towards helping the people in need there. For other options you can go to Huffpost, where they have a page with various organizations you can donate to. Let's all hope Japan a speedy recover from this devastating disaster.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but I had to remove your post. Please come back without hiding behind a wall of anonymity and then call me an idiot. You are very much entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, but I am entitled to mine as well. I'm still happy that you took the couple seconds to look at what I wrote and comment on it.

    ReplyDelete