Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Spaghetti Incident

We here at the One Day Will be Farewell blahg (which is only yours truly) are continuing to play a bit of catch up from the past week of events that happened in the city. The City in which I dwell never ceases to amaze me and if you live here you know what I mean (wink, wink). New York city is a bottomless well of material to rant about and last week was seriously no different especially when it came to the subway.



I haven't a clue if you, the reader, have ever ridden on the MTA, but riding the train can be quite an adventure. The above video shows just one scenario that can play out for those who unfortunately open their mouth to the wrong group of girls in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is nothing more enjoyable than riding to work and bearing witness to pasta being tossed in someones face while the tossers friend repeats "Don't get in her face" over and over (I personally can't compete with that argument). Fortunately for us, someone with the technology was there to record the situation go down.

I will tell you this, if I witnessed those two girls sitting there and they began to annoy me, I would have to either a: sat there taking it like a man and ignoring it, or b: eject myself from the situation by moving away from the potential powder keg (or pasta in this matter) ready to blow. I have no idea why that woman even opened her mouth to complain, but she should have known that she was not dealing with one but two girls as soon as her lips parted like the red sea to voice the opinion she was soon to regret.

Waiting for next available table
Since this incident has spider webbed it's way across the internet and local television, the MTA is now contemplating the banning of food consumption on the subway. I personally don't take issue with this, but those who enjoy eating their meals while smelling garbage, body odor and urine while our rat overlords run around and poop at their feet may take issue. Would I feel bad eating my meal next to a homeless individual on the train who's passed out next to me dreaming of the meal I'm eating is not a question I never want to be in the position to ask myself.

Bon Appétit, my overlords
If the MTA actually proceeds to ban the consumption of food on the subway, then perhaps some will be pretty annoyed, but then again for most, the overall ride to work may become more enjoyable (although not soon enough for the lady in the video). If they do not go through with the ban then may be they can remove all of the seats so people can't throw their waste under them. Either way, I don't really care where people eat, if I have a problem I'll simply move away than put myself in an embarrassing situation like eating on the subway.

All of this leads me to reaffirm that riding my bike to work is more enjoyable than riding the train. Having to coexist with other people in a silver tube that propels itself through the underground realm of our rat overlords can be too troublesome for me.

3 comments:

  1. i'd be happy if they simply banned trimming of one's nails (finger or toe). *shudder*. nothing creeps me out more.
    well, nothing except the thought of an errant toe nail flying into my plate of pasta that i'm trying to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't even want to think about people clipping their nails on the subway.

    ReplyDelete