Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This morning...

How many of you feel this way in the morning?
The best part of waking up unfortunately was not Folgers in my cup, but that I woke up an hour earlier than normal giving me time to lay in bed and think about the numerous ways I will loathe the day as sit in front of dual monitors. As I have mentioned in a previous post, many of my weekdays feel like the movie Groundhog Day. Today seemed to be no different, except for the fact that I woke up earlier than expected. At least it is Wednesday, the middle of the week, and though I had to cut a rent check this morning, I am that much closer to the weekend. May the repetition begin.

I tend to enjoy the moments in a dream where you suddenly realize you are about to be late for work. You then knowingly snap yourself out of the dream-like state that you are probably more happier to exist in. That nervous rush of fear knowing that time has slipped past the start of your normal morning routine as you ride into the danger zone (Tom Cruises career should have died in that movie, not goose), is enough make any person say "Awww, shit!".

One of the first things I do in the morning is roll over, eyes glazed, and stare at the television, which I never seem to turn off as I pass out watching Jimmy Fallon the night before (no cable, few choices). Why do I do this? I haven't a clue. I think it's just feels more comfortable sleeping with sound. I'm totally fine with this except for when it comes to my electric bill and waking up to the "Today Show".

I'll never this after all the coverage
As I stare at the television, I am immediately smacked with coverage of the upcoming royal jelly wedding. Hey, television, seriously? This is the best you can give in the morning? You give me coverage of some couple that will never rule over us, in a country that we defeated for our freedom many a year ago. By the way, that was probably the only real time we fought for our freedom, since then it's been more or less maintaining that "freedom" (notice the quotes), or invading for oil (or so I've been told). I would rather watch the whole Charlie Sheen fiasco, at least he is American. Plus, watching people meltdown in the public eye, thanks to the media, can be quite entertaining. But even Charlie's fiasco will reach a point where it just needs to eject itself from our eye sights.

You never need to sleep alone
Doesn't America have other things to worry about like how we are going to be pleasing our soon to be rat overlords? How about our upcoming summer infestation of bed bugs? At least single people can share in the comfort of not having to sleep alone as they will soon have tiny little bugs eating away at them while they sleep. Neither of these two creatures of the earth are going to be leaving us anytime soon. They both are true New Yorkers and have engrained themselves into the very fabric of our lives. Besides, our overlords and new sleeping companions, don't we have enough in our own lives to worry about than some famous people who don't know we exist and will never care about us on an individual basis? Who knows?

I've annoyed myself and squandered enough time staring at the boob tube. So finally, I roll out of bed and brush what is left of my teeth and think about the day ahead. (Oh, look at the time, I'm running late now). I toss on my clothes and strap into my non messaging messenger bag and head out the door with my trusty bicycle. Off again to the place I was loathing about in the first paragraph before I was distracted by the television I never turned off.

No comments:

Post a Comment